The Certificate in Mortgage Advice and Practice (CeMAP®) is a QCF* Level 3 qualification. It meets the educational standard required by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) of anyone wishing to achieve a ‘licence to practice’ and work as a mortgage adviser.
As the premier mortgage qualification, CeMAP® is firmly established as the qualification of choice in the financial services industry, and widely regarded as the industry benchmark with 80% of mortgage advisers holding the qualification.
Employers from across the sector have been involved in the development of CeMAP® which ensures that the content provides students with the knowledge they require in order to meet future career and regulatory requirements.
CeMAP® is a UK specific qualification and comprises seven mandatory units that are studied and assessed in three modules:
CeMAP® Module 1
Unit 1 - Introduction to Financial Services Environment and Products
Unit 2 - UK Financial Services and Regulation
CeMAP® Module 2
Unit 3 - Mortgage Law, Policy, Practice and Markets
Unit 4 - Mortgage Applications
Unit 5 - Mortgage Payment Methods and Products
Unit 6 - Mortgage Arrears and Post Completion Issues
CeMAP® Module 3
Unit 7 - Assessment of Mortgage Advice and Knowledge
CeMAP® key facts and benefits:
- Comprehensive distance-learning support
- Multiple choice testing – results provided on the day
- Institute Membership opportunity available
- Year-round examinations – nationwide locations
Upon successful completion of CeMAP® you can use the designation ‘CeMAP’ after your name.
Important Qualification Related Information
Includes learning materials and initial examination entry.
£164 - per module*
Examination resit fee
£127 - per module*
£22 - per paper
Online Competence Development Tool (CDT)
£27 - per module* of units i.e.CeMAP® 1 or CeMAP® 2
£42 - when purchasing two modules* together i.e. CeMAP® 1 and CeMAP® 2
Ask the Expert
Online support services
* The fee includes all costs contained within the modules.
CeMAP® consists of seven mandatory units:
CeMAP® Module 1
- Unit 1 - Introduction to Financial Services Environment and Products (ITFS) L / 501 / 8715
- Unit 2 - UK Financial Services and Regulation (UKFS) R / 501 / 8716
ITFS and UKFS explore the environment within which the financial services industry operates with an introduction to the main financial services products. Module 1 units also focuses on the legal concepts relevant to financial advice and the interplay between regulation and legislation.
View the CeMAP® 1 aims, learning outcomes and assessment criteria.
CeMAP® Module 2
- Unit 3 - Mortgage Law, Policy, Practice and Markets
- Unit 4 - Mortgage Applications
- Unit 5 - Mortgage Payment Methods and Products
- Unit 6 - Mortgage Arrears and Post Completion Issues
MLPP, MAPP, MPMP, and MAPC group of units focuses on the procedures and legislation relating to purchasing a property. The units detail the processes involved in a mortgage application along with ancillary insurances. The units also develop the students’ understanding of the different types of mortgage products and their suitability for different types of customer. The units also explore the issues faced by borrowers after a mortgage has been completed, whether they require further funds or are having difficulty in meeting the existing mortgage commitment.
View the CeMAP® 2 aims, learning outcomes and assessment criteria.
CeMAP® Module 3
- Unit 7 - Assessment of Mortgage Advice and Knowledge
ASSM concentrates on bringing the knowledge and understanding gained in the previous six units together and focuses on case study scenarios. Students will need to analyse clients’ circumstances in order to identify suitable and affordable solutions.
View the CeMAP® 3 aims, learning outcomes and assessment criteria.
CeMAP® students who plan to expand their role in future and also advise on retail investment products or study the practice of mortgage advice at a higher level may wish to consider studying the Financial Services, Regulation and Ethics Unit of the Institute's QCF Level 4 Diploma for Financial Advisers (DipFA®) and Diploma in Mortgage Advice and Practice (DipMAP®) as an alternative to CeMAP® Module 1. Find out more.
Unit 1 - Introduction to Financial Services Environment and Products (ITFS)
Unit 2 - UK Financial Services and Regulation (UKFS)
ITFS and UKFS each comprise a one hour objectively tested examinations with 50 multiple choice questions.
Unit 3 - Mortgage Law, Policy, Practice and Markets (MLPP)
Unit 4 - Mortgage Applications (MAPP)
Unit 5 - Mortgage Payment Methods and Products (MPMP)
Unit 6 - Mortgage Arrears and Post Completion Issues (MAPC)
MLPP, MAPP, MPMP and MAPC each comprise a 30 minute objective test with 25 multiple choice questions.
Unit 7 - Assessment of Mortgage Advice and Knowledge (ASSM)
ASSM comprises a 2 hour objective test with 6 case studies each with 10 multiple choice questions.
All of the units that comprise the CeMAP® qualification can be examined at over 150 Pearson VUE test centres nationwide with the result provided on the day.
View information on examination booking and venues.
It is recommended that you spend 200 learning hours of study time on CeMAP®.
The following additional study support materials, designed to complement the learning manual, are available to purchase:
- Specimen examination papers
- Revision notes
- Ask the Expert (web support) accesses a dedicated forum for three months. The forum will give students access to post questions about the content of the study materials or syllabus. Qualified trainers and subject experts will provide answers to questions. A series of frequently asked questions will also be available, together with guidance on how to make best use of the service.
- Competence Development Tool (CDT) online access for 12 months.
Competence Development Tool (CDT)
The CDT is a comprehensive, online learning and examination practice tool for current and past CeMAP® students to test current industry knowledge and identify potential areas of weakness. CDT is provided exclusively by the Institute of Financial Services and contains a bank of specimen questions to help students pass the exam or maintain professional standards.
- A preparation aid developed around the structure of CeMAP®
- An ongoing competence toolkit
- Selectable topic testing and variable competence settings, full group tests, unit tests, and knowledge tests, tailored to your development needs
- Flexible testing with personalised and detailed feedback on individual knowledge gaps, with the function to download/print the analysis of a completed mock exam
- Links to relevant sections of the study materials from the analysis sheet for questions that are answered incorrectly, allowing focused revision of knowledge gaps
- Mock exams including a real-time counter to monitor the time, simulating real-life examination conditions
- Comprehensive reference and index sources
Click here to access a demo of the development tool.
12 months access to this toolkit costs £200 and can be added straight away to your my ifslearning profile. If you are interested in registering for this development tool, contact our Customer and Student Enquires team on (0) 1227 818609
You can register for CeMAP® at any time.
Online - complete the online registration and payment form.
By phone - call Further Education Customer and Student Enquiries on +44 (0) 1227 818609 (option 1). Please have your VISA/MasterCard/debit card to hand when you call.
By post/fax - download and complete the registration form. To view this file you need to have Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. This is free and available from the Adobe website. When you have completed the form either send it to the address stated on the form or fax it to +44 (0) 1227 784331.
Membership of the Institute of Financial Services provides access to cost-effective and appropriate services that meet the very specific needs of the financial and mortgage adviser community and costs just £72 per annum.